A Walk Through the Past....

The museum complex includes the jail and yard, several pioneer cabins, Fort Black Springs, the carriage house and various artifacts.

The Jail 

 

This two story sandstone constructed  in 1880 served as the Jail for Palo Pinto County  The sandstone was hauled from a quarry south of Palo Pinto by team and wagon. 

Read more...

Gordon Community Library and MuseumThe old rock building that houses the Gordon Community Library & Museum is possibly the oldest structure in Gordon. According to John Boyd Harlin, son of the man who once operated a store in the building, the building was built sometime between 1880 and 1900 from sand rock taken from a quarry on top of Swank Mountain (the mountain that is on the northern edge of Gordon just east of Highway 919). It was built by Silas Graves, a local man who operated a store there, probably groceries. In about 1922...

Read more...

Davidson Cemetary - Palo Pinto County, TexasThe Davidson Cemetary located east of Strawn on the old Johnson mine spur, is one of the largest and most picturesque family cemetaries in Texas. Davidson started the cemetary in July 1864. It was on Davidson’s original farm and ranchland that a man by the name of James Reed was killed by the Indians. James Reed’s decendents placed a permanent marker on his grave in 1989.

Read more...

Lover's Retreat - Palo Pinto County TexasLover's Retreat is one of the most scenic spots in Palo Pinto County. Back when it was open to the public, it was utilized by everyone in our county as a meeting ground or picnic area for many of the annual events. Families met here for reunions, churches held tent revivals and held in Palo Pinto County and many families report that it was the gathering place for their family reunion every year especially back in the '50's.

The stories of how Lover's Retreat was so named are as varied as the colorful quilts that my grandmother pieced.

Read more...

Find us on Facebook

Palo Pinto Facts

The town of Graford is located between the towns of Graham and Weatherford and thus derives its name from the combination of those names.